June 19, 2009

Just when I think I'm done...


Saturday is back again!! Unfortunately!! :( Yeah, you didn't hear me wrong..I said 'Unfortunately' itself. Almost every sane human being looks forward to 'weekends'. For youth like us, Saturdays are always more fun than Sundays. But for me and a few more working with me, well, we just wish Saturdays cease forever..

It feels like just yesterday, that we had Saturday and our OPD and admission day and night shift and all that crap. And Saturday is here again :( How soon did the week pass by ? :(

Physiology says , your body and mind needs adequate rest.Being doctors, we all have studied it properly in our very first year of medical school. We know the disadvantages of not getting enough rest. Then why on earth are we doctors ourselves expected to work like donkeys?!?! We aren't some machines right? Why are we put on 36 hour shift and 70 hour shift and all that? Forget me, one of my friend took up MS general surgery in a government college recently. And poor fellow, he is getting to sleep only for an hour everyday for the past five days!! I mean, won't our efficiency decrease if we work like this?How much can you force your body and mind to work. When your drowsy and your mind is not analysing the history and findings and investigation reports of a patient to come to a diagnosis, forget the treatment part, whose at loss? What if you make a blunder in the treatment?At the end of the day, patients do get affected because of this right?But the world's very diplomatic. Everybody is of the opinion that, 'your a doctor. The noble profession. You should be able to handle all this'. What crap!! I wonder why shifts are so unreasonable. But I know for a fact that, nothing can be changed.

Intake of PGs and staff can be increased and work load will reduce. MBBS graduates are staying at home without PG seats and very low paid duty doctor jobs. But no. No college admits more PGs. I wonder why.When you can admit 150 students for an MBBS course, and you know that just an MBBS degree without an MS or MD leaves you nowhere, why is that you hardly have 50 seats for MD and MS? What are the others supposed to do? Stick to a 10,000 job all through life? Amazing logic ya!! Whatever it is, the hierarchy in this field is horrible. 'Rules' here, means, just what the seniors say. That's it. They are the rule makers and breakers and everything.

I'm not feeling well today. It looks like its gonna continue for tomorrow too. And tomorrow is supposed to be our busy day. How do I work when I myself am not feeling well? But yeah, I have to and I have previously worked while ill too. According to me, almost every intern and pg would have. Nobody in the hospital bothers about it. If at all I go and ask for leave, I won't get it because tomorrow is duty day and moreover, even if i get it, my leave for shruthi's wedding will get cancelled. Heights!!

My friends who I used to hang out with all these years have now shifted to Bangalore and elsewhere because most of my friends are engineers and are working in Metros. They come to Mysore only on weekends and they laugh at me when I say I'm at work!! Wow!! Amazing na? Life is screwed up if your weekends are screwed up yaar.

Anyways, I'm in this department for two more weekends. I'm on leave next weekend and that leaves me with only one Saturday duty and that's tomorrow. Hope things go easy tomorrow and hope my leave for the next weekend doesn't get cancelled. Want to get done with this..ASAP

Chandana C. Shekar

10 comments:

NR said...

Tahts really dangerous ya working so much!!! U know what we learn...we have to unlearn them !!!
Infrastructure of our country is not good so that why u have so much problem in every field n especially in medical field.

Takre care of your health Chandana and dont get upset with the situation, its just a phase will pass out n dont carry this with u in the hospital as it may affect your work. Be positive n u'll see inshallah things will be fine.

Be cool as doctors need to b isin't it...lol!!!!

take care

Neha said...

babes take care...i knw thy really make u slog, but i m sure once this phase is passed, u will go places in ur career...so jus take care and dont lose ur smile:)

Dr. Chandana Shekar said...

thanks both of u.

@nazish- there u go again . 'be cool as doctors need to be'... heights ya!!!

Arun Kumar said...

yeap... internship sucks... am in final year n am already havin nightmares about my internship struggles... yuck..

n thanks for stoppin by my blog... happy to come across another doc in blogsville...

broca's area said...

true...interns r treated like dogs here...no respect at all!!...and more work really dec ur interest and efficiency!!!..

Dr. Chandana Shekar said...

@arun - thanks for readin.. was a pleasure readin ur blog too.. enjoy ur final year. now i feel MBBS days were the best. was heaven compared to internship.. enjoy ur moments :)

@pratap-thanks for readin..

Swatantra said...

Hi,

Very nice post!! The picture on the post is too good, resembles a lot to the post.

May GOD Bless!! I am sure once you pass through these days, then u can remember it like one of those days when i worked hard!!

Thanks for reading about my son. I hope to see you again there...

Cheer Up!!

Dr. Chandana Shekar said...

thanks swatantra :)

Anonymous said...

I swear.. we people have to really fight ourselves for a pg seat.. i also wonder why they have to have so few pg seats.. but anyways.. we will have better days yar.. n hope the education system changes n increaes more pg seats...

Dibyanshi said...

i love it ..

good one ...

see my blogs...
please find my blog and do comment also wants ur feed back.
http://mereprabhusmj.blogspot.com/
http://bloghelpforbegineers.blogspot.com/
http://stockexchangesinindia.blogspot.com/
thanks,
-Amaresh