June 6, 2009

May I consult Dr.Chandana please?

It's a saturday morning and as usual, I was expecting a busy day and night at work. I go to the OPD at past 10 , after finishing the dressings in the ward and there is an OPD card lying on the table unattended. I ask the PG if he is done with that patient and if I can dispense the card, and he says , "That patient wants to consult you itseems". There's no doubt about my reaction. You can guess it right?I know he is just kidding. I ask him to stop it and he says the same thing again. 'What the hell ya, how can somebody fool around like this early in the morning when there is a busy day ahead yet?' is what goes on in my mind. I ask him for the last time to stop acting weird and there he goes, "The patient said that she wants to consult Dr.Chandana itseems". Ah!! Now I know for sure. This guy is nuts. He is having fun at my cost.

Then, for some reason, I turn around and see, and I find that, THE PATIENT IS ACTUALLY WAITING FOR ME!!!. I was shocked, speechless, wondering what my staff would think about it ,and happy too.

Now the explaination for her waiting for me goes like this. This particular lady had come to the OPD last week too and wanted a female doctor to examine her and she was pretty scared about something regarding her health. As I was the only female doctor around, I did examine her, but rest of the diagnosis and treatment part was done by my senior. That time, it has so happened that she has got to know my name from my name-plate. Now,this week, when she has come for follow-up, she is asking for Dr. Chandana!!!

Whoo!!! Felt good in one way. It's a completely different story that it'll be my seniors who will be doing the needful for her and I'm here just as an intern, still in my learning process. But when most of the patients address you as 'Sister'(Patients think any young girl in an apron is a nurse!!! weird!!!) and you keep snapping back at them saying 'I'm a doctor', if a patient asks for you and waits for you, it is but obvious that you will feel good right? When at times, you don't even get the respect that the para-medical staff get, by you very own staff, if somebody is respecting you as a 'Dr' , you will feel glad right? When most of the time you are doing clerical work at the hospital, if a patient actually wants you to treat her, you will feel great right? :) Nice :) :)

Chandana C. Shekar

7 comments:

NR said...

wow..nice to hear that Chandana...seems u interact with your patients in a very nice and caring manner thats why they ask for u!!! I think u r lucky that god has given u this karisma that ppl believe in n i suppose thats one of the most important thing what a dr requires from his or her patients!!!

be like this n never change...success will definitely follow u!!!

tc

broca's area said...

:)...true..it really makes ur day!!!

Dialect Of Heart said...

wow...congrats! Must have felt really good. So, you too have snapped at patients calling you "sister"...I'd done that innumerable time since second year MBBS onwards when clinical rotations had started.

Dr. Chandana Shekar said...

thanks nazish... thats really nice of u :)
@brocas- yup :) true.
@mon- ya.get really irritated when they call us sister!!! thanks for ur wishes :)

Anand said...

Don't make them wait for too long, madam. You will lose half of them!!

By the way, the sister feeling was a bit too touching.

Neha said...

good going doc...i m sure u r gonna be a rocking doc in future cos of ur charm...:)

Dr. Chandana Shekar said...

@anand- ill take care of that :)

@neha di- thanks for ur wishes :)