May 14, 2010

When bored, at the Lib.

Got bored while studying at the library today. At the library I go to, people seem to have some sort of a 'syndrome'. Seems like they need 'studying' to be alive and not air and water.I obviously don't have company to loaf around when I get bored. So I try to just look around myself. I look for some eye candy ( which I spotted only once till now and then, he too seemed gay), count the number of broken window panes, see how far the spider on the wall has moved since yesterday, count the number of people without spectacles (coz that's easier than counting the ones with spectacles there!!) and so on. Today, was just flipping through the pages of my notebook, and happened to open the last page, where 'amazing facts' were given. Few were kinda amusing actually. I'll tell you.


"The combination 'o-u-g-h' can be pronounced in nine different ways. the following sentence contains them all. A rough coated, dough-faced, thoughtful plough man strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughs and hiccoughed"... I guess the bugger who sat and searched for the words with these pronunciations and then went to frame a meaningful sentence with them was as bored as I was!!

"Do you have 'pnigophobia'? It's the fear of choking on fish bones". .. Well, I don't have it. But my vegetarian mom does, when I am eating fish!. Wonder when she'll realise that I'm a pro at having fish. Yummy!! I love sea food :-). Been a while since I had it though :-( .

"'Caligynephobia' is the fear of beautiful women".. Such a waste that this word was coined. Will anybody ever suffer from that? Men? No ways!! That will be the biggest joke on earth. Women? well, the only thing a woman can feel about another beautiful woman is jealousy, nothing else.

I repent giving my lecturers gaalis ( in my mind ofcourse) when I used to enter late to class and he/she would yell, "how dare U enter late? ". Little did I know till today that they were yelling at the alphabet "U" and not me! Wondering what and how? Because, "The original English alphabet had only 24 letters. J and U joined the alphabet much later!".

Wrote this at the lib. Thank goodness there was nobody sitting in my immediate neighbourhood and hence nobody saw me doing this. Else I would have surely been called either an alien or a looser. Was at the lib and not studying you see ;-)


p.s.- I miss the chit-chatting, gossiping, sight-seeing [;-)], sleeping (and studying ofcourse) and the nescafe sessions we used to have at my college library during my college days.. Was fun :).

Keep smiling,
Chandana C. Shekar

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Silent self-talks shared - correct?

Swatantra said...

Interesting. Liked it. Somehow i have never enjoyed my time at library but now i love reading!!

KParthasarathi said...

You have contrived out of thin air a very enjoyable post.

Insignia said...

Those were some interesting information. Loafing around was helpful huh!! and some thoughts as well :-)

Anonymous said...

Really very very funny kane:-).. U're struggling to study is it????.... Where did u get those phobias & o u g h??? Awesome:-)

R. Ramesh said...

I used to enter the Times of India library in Mumbai 3rd floor..the dusty room with such wonderful volumes..shucks u bring those days back talking abt library..now everything is ready at the click of a button..v used to have several proof readers checking copies..computers swallowed their jobs..omg.nostalgia

R. Ramesh said...

shucks, library was in 4th floor..dunno now..talking abt 90s..

Dr. Chandana Shekar said...

@hobo- exactly

@ramesh- total nostalgia huh? :)

@insignia and parthasarathi- thank u :) yeah, loafin was a entertainment atleast :)

@manju- ayyo, dont ask. only i know my difficulty in tryin to get the flow to study... got those in that book kano :)

broca's area said...

i miss my lib too...only reason i used to go there is to study robbins in 2nd yr...:)

Neha said...

ah library - I have spent so much time there talking! miss my college days..made so many friends there..the library lady still calls me up :)

Dr. Chandana Shekar said...

@pratap- haha.. we went there for all other reasons :)

@neha di- ha..thats nice. i had a librarian who was kadoos to the max in my 11th and 12th. she used to shout at everyone. but she was very sweet to me. used to be regular there na. my friends used to ask me to get books for them.. lolz:)