May 31, 2009

Surgery, so far... so good :)

I report to Surgery Postings on saturday morning at 9. And I'm on continous duty till monday evening 5, making it a good whole 56 hour shift!!! Unfortunately, I'm supposed to be the only intern as my co-intern is at rotation postings at the Paediatric Surgery department for ten days. And unfortunately again, the junior PG is on leave. And more unfortunately, there are a lot of admissions for those two days. :(

Coming from minor postings and having so much work to do and not knowing how things are to be done felt a huge transition. Days passed and I got used to it. There was more work compared to other unit interns, but then, it all boils down to one thing. If the people who your working with are cool enough, everything goes on smoothly. So did it happen. The profs in my unit weren't 'very' cranky and P.G.s in the unit were really cool. I used to get my share of work to do, no running away from it. But I used to get enough time to do it too. No unreasonable time limit and stuff. Do your work, and your fine. Got to assist surgeries. Learnt a few things too. Felt for sometime atleast that I'm actually a medical intern and not just somebody doing some clerical work, filling forms etc.

There are a few things I have realised in the past few days during my postings here, and few are from some people around:
1. Always have Confidence, come what may. That's going to be your ultimate lifeline.
2. Everybody has workload. Learn to get on with it. Never crib about it for the whole day. Get done with it and then enjoy the remaining part of the day.Be bindaas.
3. Your here for something, keep that in mind first. First things first.
4. Don't believe in somebody else's opinion about people. Make your own. It differs big time. Trust me on that!! Opinions are very very subjective.

Well, a month more to go and I foresee a few changes too. Lets see how it goes :)

Chandana C. Shekar

4 comments:

sudhirkekre said...

Hi Doctor Chandana,
nice blog.its fun reading about a doctors routine.

NR said...

u keep learning and everyday is a new experience!!! Thats why one should b open to learn and never close its doors!!!!

The changes will really bring a new but innovative and positive change in u!!!

So what hav u decided to specialize in???

the stygian sailor said...

Opinions, yes, you got to form your own. That everyone does. But be ready to change your opinion when proved wrong; that will make you different.
cheers

Dr. Chandana Shekar said...

@sudhir- thanks :)
@nazish- thanks for readin again :) im yet to decide which branch to choose :)
@sailor-i totally agree :)